[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 2 February 2006, 06:39 GMT
Boy's gas death prompts campaign
Dominic Rodgers
Dominic Rodgers died from carbon monoxide poisoning
A West Yorkshire MP is calling on the gas industry to pay for a 3m campaign to promote gas safety awareness.

Huddersfield Labour MP Barry Sheerman is highlighting the issue following the death of a 10-year-old schoolboy from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Dominic Rodgers died in February 2004 when fumes seeped into his bedroom at Spaines Road in Huddersfield.

An inquest into his death was told a faulty boiler in a neighbouring property was to blame.

His mother Stacey has featured in adverts warning people of the dangers of carbon monoxide.

Now Mr Sheerman and Mrs Rodgers are urging the gas industry to pay the estimated 3m it would cost for the adverts to be shown on prime time television.

Mr Sheerman said: "The number of recent incidents of carbon monoxide poisoning in Huddersfield show that this is a serious issue that we still need to do more to tackle."


SEE ALSO:
Boy's death caused by faulty flue
03 Nov 05 |  West Yorkshire
Gas death sparks checks on homes
22 Oct 04 |  West Yorkshire


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific