The artefacts are on show in Birmingham until 13 October
Museum chiefs have apologised to people who went to see the UK's largest haul of Anglo-Saxon treasure after a new ticketing system failed to work.
Birmingham Museum, which is displaying some of the 1,300 items, tried the new system on Wednesday.
Instead of queuing, people were given an allocated time to return to the exhibition - but meant people were told to come back up to four hours later.
Birmingham City Council said the usual system would return on Thursday.
A spokeswoman said the system had not worked because people had not been expecting it.
She said that on average, 100 people were going in to see the exhibition every half an hour and so they had been trying to cut the amount of time people would be made to stand in a queue.
Jane Cookson, of Stourbridge, said she was disappointed when she was told she would have to come back at 1600 BST after queuing from about 1200 BST.
She said: "I wouldn't have minded if there had been signs or something telling us what was going on, but we didn't have a clue."
The council spokeswoman said the time-slot system was commonly used for London exhibitions.
The artefacts, which may date back to the 7th Century, were discovered by Terry Herbert, 55, using a metal detector in a farmer's field in Staffordshire.
Birmingham City Council has previously said it would try to raise the seven-figure sum to keep the hoard in the Midlands.