Page last updated at 06:57 GMT, Monday, 9 June 2008 07:57 UK

Deodorant can 'caused house fire'

Fire chiefs have warned people not to leave aerosol cans in the sun after an exploding deodorant spray caused a house fire in the West Midlands.

The blaze, at a three-storey house in Wednesbury Road, Walsall, happened on Sunday morning. No-one was injured.

West Midlands Fire Service said the pressurised aerosol had been left by a bathroom window.

A spokesman said direct sunlight caused it to heat up and it exploded, causing the fire.

Fire service spokesman Archie Wheldon said part of an internal wall had been destroyed by the "explosive power" of the aerosol.

He said: "Clearly the message that we need to get over is, given that days at the moment are extremely warm, people do observe the instructions on aerosol canisters and do not expose them to sunlight because there is a risk of explosion."


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

FROM OTHER NEWS SITES
Ahwatukee Foothills News Community Briefs (6/11) - 7 hrs ago
CNN Gas Passes $4; Eight People Dead in Deadly Midwest Storm; Gas Trickles Down and Raises Prices on Everything; O - 20 hrs ago
Birmingham Evening Mail Home fire trauma for bride-to-be - 24 hrs ago
Biggleswade Chronicle Exploding deodorant can sparks fire - 33 hrs ago



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific