[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 26 October 2007, 13:56 GMT 14:56 UK
'Walk of fame' closed over safety
Jasper Carrott star fenced off
The manufacturer of the stars is looking at the problem
Birmingham's new Hollywood-style walk of fame has been temporarily closed over fears the star-spangled stones may be too highly polished.

The Walk of Stars, which so far only honours Jasper Carrott and Ozzy Osbourne, has been fenced off.

Broad Street manager Mike Olley said: "We've just got a slight concern that there is a potential to fall over - no-one has slipped up as yet though.

"We've got the manufacturer looking at it and we're going to get it right."

Mr Olley denied that the move was over-cautious.

"It's just a case of looking after the punters that come onto Broad Street," he said.

"We've got 50,000 people this Saturday night that will visit our street.

"We want to make sure it's as safe as possible for them - as simple as that."

Mr Olley added that a third star in the walk would be announced soon.

Rock star Ozzy Osbourne became the first artist to be honoured in July.

The singer, from Aston, told more than 1,000 fans on Broad Street that the brass paving star meant more to him than any Hollywood accolade.



VIDEO AND AUDIO NEWS
Ozzy Osbourne has a star on the walk of fame



SEE ALSO
Carrott on Brummie Walk of Stars
15 Sep 07 |  West Midlands
Ozzy on home city's Walk of Stars
18 May 07 |  West Midlands
Osbourne makes Ozzfest shows free
07 Feb 07 |  Entertainment

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific