[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 14 September 2007, 11:50 GMT 12:50 UK
McDonald's fined for bolt in meal
McDonald's logo
Bolts were found to be missing from the kitchen's grill
Fast food giant McDonald's has been fined 13,500 after a metal bolt was found in a snack at a West Midlands shopping centre.

A customer chewed on the bolt, which was in a sausage and egg McMuffin, at the outlet in Merry Hill in June 2006.

The company pleaded guilty at Dudley Magistrates' Court on Thursday to a charge of producing food which did not meet required standards.

The court heard bolts were missing from a kitchen grill.

'Foreign bodies'

Dudley council's environment spokeswoman Karen Shakespeare said: "We're very pleased with the outcome of this case.

"We will not hesitate to take action in cases where customer safety is put at risk.

"It is essential all food businesses, whatever their size, have sufficient procedures in place to ensure foreign bodies cannot enter food and staff are adequately trained in those procedures."

A spokesman for McDonald's said food safety was a "top priority" for the company.

He said: "This was an isolated incident that may have been connected with the servicing of the restaurant grills a few days before the complaint.

"We apologise for the incident and can reassure customers that correct procedures have been reiterated across the business."

McDonald's was also ordered to pay 3,578 in costs.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific