[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Sunday, 24 June 2007, 14:09 GMT 15:09 UK
Breathing apparatus saves snake
Firefighters used breathing apparatus to revive a snake rescued from a flat fire in the West Midlands.

Iguanas, tortoises and other snakes were also pulled from the burning flat in Tipton shortly after 0300 BST on Sunday.

Fire crews used resuscitation equipment usually used on people to revive the corn snake.

The occupant of the flat in Rushmere Road had already managed to get out before crews arrived.

He was taken to Sandwell Hospital but is not believed to have been seriously injured.

The fire is thought to have been started by a cooking appliance which had been left on.

The animals have now been put in the care of the RSPCA, said a West Midlands Fire Service spokesman.

He added: "We gave the snake oxygen and it recovered. It's unusual, but all part of the service."


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific