An inquisitive parrot that got stuck up the chimney of its new home bit a firefighter on the hand as he reached up to free it.
The Black-mask Conure made its way up the living room flue after finding a gap where the front cover of a new gas fire was to be fitted.
The bird's owner Cheryl Garratt, of Primrose Avenue, Upper Hill, Tipton, rang West Midlands Fire Service to say that the animal had got out of its cage and into the chimney.
After taking the gas fire apart, firefighters used a torch and mirror to locate the parrot, which was trapped about three feet above the opening, and reached up to get it out.
Sub officer Jim Dale, from Tipton fire station, said the distressed bird then bit the rescuing officer on the hand.
He said: "I have had 28 years in the fire service and this is just one of the things we get called to deal with.
"We rise to the challenge because we are here to serve the public."
The officer did not need treatment for his injuries.