Page last updated at 06:50 GMT, Tuesday, 24 June 2008 07:50 UK

Tourist electrocuted in Thailand

Pattaya
Mr Mitchinson was visiting friends in Pattaya

A Sunderland tourist has died in a freak accident in Thailand, after being electrocuted in a puddle containing a live power cable.

Scott Mitchinson, 30, was in the rain-soaked district of Pattaya, when he stepped on the exposed electric cable and collapsed.

His devastated father, John, 72, of Barnes, Sunderland, said his son had gone to the country to see friends.

The Foreign Office said consular aid was being given to the family.

Mr Mitchinson and a woman friend were walking in heavy rainstorms in the early hours of 19 June when the incident happened.

Walked from bar

It is believed he had come into contact with exposed power cables and those who were nearby could do nothing to help for fear of electrocuting themselves.

Mr Mitchinson's father said: "He had gone to Thailand with three or four of his friends to see a friend from school who had bought a pub over there.

"I only know what I have been told from the authorities and it appears he was electrocuted.

"Scott had been to Thailand before, two years ago, and loved it there."

It is believed that Mr Mitchinson, who worked on oil rigs at Aberdeen, was trying to get back to his hotel room as he walked from a bar.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We can confirm that a British male died on 19 June in Bangkok, Thailand.

"We are in contact with his next of kin and consular assistance is being provided."


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific