Grace is believed to have died as a result of fluid on her lungs
A baby girl who made a miraculous recovery after her life-support machine was switched off has died.
Earlier this year, Grace Vincent from North Tyneside contracted a rare form of meningitis and spent four days in intensive care.
Her family took the decision to turn off the equipment, but hours later she was still breathing and was subsequently discharged from hospital.
Grace, who was 28 weeks old, died on Sunday at North Tyneside General.
In May, doctors had diagnosed her with late-onset Group B Streptococcus (GBS).
The bacteria are present in nearly a quarter of women of childbearing age and can be passed on to babies during labour.
Scans also showed Grace had suffered "catastrophic brain damage".
Her family decided to switch off the life-support machine, but were amazed when she apparently recovered.
The then six-week-old became known as "Amazing Grace".
Since then, she had visited hospital several times, and is thought to have died as a result of fluid on her lungs.
Steve Dayman, chief executive of charity Meningitis UK, said he was "so sad that it had ended like this".
He said: "Usually when they do get through their critical period, some babies are left with some form of disablement.
"But normally they go on, and obviously knowing the family personally it's a big shock to us.
"Everyone associated with Meningitis UK would like to express our sincere sympathies to the family."
A funeral service for Grace is due to be held on Friday at Whitley Bay.