Page last updated at 03:57 GMT, Wednesday, 21 May 2008 04:57 UK

Arrests follow police car death

Scene of fatal RTA
Police have sealed off the area where Hayley Adamson died

Northumbria Police have made several arrests after trouble flared following the death of a 16-year-old girl who was hit and killed by a marked police car.

Hayley Adamson was struck as she crossed the road in Newcastle's Denton Road, late on Monday night.

At one point a 23-year-old man was subdued with a Taser stun gun.

Northumbria Police have appealed for calm in the area. A spokesman for the force confirmed the driver of the police car had been suspended.

Ch Supt Paul Weir said emotions were "running high" in the area and police had met members of the community twice on Tuesday to appeal for calm.

An Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) spokesman said the driver of the marked police car was responding to the activation of his vehicle's automatic number plate recognition system, when Ms Adamson was hit.

He said it was unclear whether the car's siren and warning lights were on.

Appeal for calm after police car death

Ch Supt Weir said his officers were ready for any further trouble on the streets.

He said: "There was a number of incidents last night following the collision and quite understandably emotions were running high.

"However, we cannot tolerate that emotion spilling over into violence or disorder.

"Some people decided that they would throw bricks at the police and arrests were made."

He said he could not comment on the specifics of the accident but confirmed the car, a Volvo T5 marked patrol car, was being driven by a lone officer.

A statement from the force said: "We can confirm that the police officer who was driving the marked police car is currently removed from operational duty, which includes driving."

The teenager, who lived with her mother at Cedar Road in Fenham, Newcastle, and who celebrated her 16th birthday in March, was pronounced dead at Newcastle General Hospital.

Patricia Wager, head teacher of Sacred Heart RC High School in Newcastle, said: "Hayley was a happy, popular and fun-loving student.

"There is a deep sense of shock at the school today and we are supporting her classmates and friends.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with her family at this difficult time."

Ms Adamson was due to sit her GCSE English exam on Tuesday.

Gary Garland, IPCC Commissioner for the North East, said: "This is a terrible tragedy and my sympathies go out to Ms Adamson's family and friends and all those involved in the incident.

"The IPCC's investigators have been at the scene since the early hours of this morning following the referral by Northumbria Police.

"We will undertake a thorough, independent investigation into all the circumstances of the incident."


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific