Page last updated at 11:44 GMT, Monday, 29 January 2007

Calm killer surrenders to police

David Bradley
David Bradley calmly waits to be arrested at West Road station

Early on Sunday 9 July last year, officers at Newcastle's West Road Police Station were nearing the end of a quiet shift.

All that changed at 0555 GMT when David Bradley walked in and calmly confessed to killing his family.

Bradley, 41, had strolled the short walk from his home carrying a rucksack filled with weapons.

His journey of a few hundred yards through the quiet streets was captured on CCTV.

Removed pistol

Wearing a baseball cap and jeans he appears so in control that he even pauses to put out his cigarette when he spots a No Smoking sign outside the police station.

Once inside he places his bag on the counter and when a female officer comes to speak to him, he says: "Don't be alarmed."

He then takes out a pump action shotgun from the bag and the woman flees, fearing for her safety.

Officers call for back up and monitor Bradley on CCTV as he wanders around the foyer. He then removes a pistol with a silencer from the waistband of his jeans and places it on the counter.

Army bomb disposal team in Newcastle
Army bomb disposal experts carried out a controlled explosion

He places his hands on his head without prompting and leaves the station. As he waits outside officers take the bag from the counter.

PC Andy Ritchie approaches him and asked if he was okay, to which Bradley replies: "No not really, I have killed four members of my family."

He hands over a set of keys for 45 Benwell Grove and is then arrested on suspicion of murder.

Examination of the rucksack revealed the 7.65mm pistol with a magazine and seven bullets; a Thunderflash explosive device wrapped in nails; a 12-bore shotgun; two knives; and more than 400 rounds of ammunition.

Police arrived at the house at 0737 GMT hoping to find signs of life, but it was immediately apparent the victims had been dead for some time.

Bradley told police he had bought the shotgun off a gypsy before he joined the Army, and had shortened the barrel to make it a more effective weapon.

Police at Benwell Grove in Newcastle
Police officers inspect the scene at the Benwell Grove house

Det Supt Steve Wade said: "When I arrived bomb disposal experts were already on their way and they later carried out a controlled explosion outside the station.

"One of our main fears was that Bradley had booby-trapped the house so we had to evacuate nearby houses as a precaution.

"The house was checked thoroughly and thankfully this was not the case."

He added: "Thankfully multiple murders like this are extremely rare.

It's down to the hard work of all those involved that this prosecution has brought against a very dangerous man with severe psychological troubles."

video and audio news
CCTV of David Bradley giving himself up to police

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific