[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 21 April 2006, 14:02 GMT 15:02 UK
Teenage rapists jailed for life
David Humphrey and Lee Beazley
The pair had drunk a large quantity of alcohol and taken drugs
Two burglars who repeatedly raped a 65-year-old woman while they were high on drugs have been jailed for life.

Nineteen-year-olds David Humphrey, of Middlesbrough, and Lee Beazley, of Hemlington, broke into the woman's home in Marton in September last year.

At an earlier hearing, Humphrey admitted three counts of rape and Beazley two charges.

The judge at Teesside Crown Court described the pair as "wicked" and said they must serve at least six years.

The pair told police they had drunk a large quantity of alcohol, smoked cannabis and taken heroin substitute tablets before breaking into the woman's house. They were armed with a knife and a screwdriver.

The grandmother had been watching television when she was threatened, repeatedly beaten and raped before her home was ransacked. Jewellery, cash and a mobile phone were stolen.

This was the most disturbing case I have had to deal with
Det Sgt Simon Hurwood

The woman was treated in hospital for severe facial injuries.

Recorder of Middlesbrough Judge Peter Fox said: "Your offending against this lady in her own home ranks among the worst cases ever committed on Teesside."

Humphrey, of Deepdale Avenue, Marton, Middlesbrough, and Beazley, of Dalcross Court, Hemlington, also pleaded guilty to aggravated burglary and threatening the woman with a knife.

Prosecutors accepted Beazley's not guilty plea to a third rape charge and said they would not proceed with an allegation of assault occasioning actual bodily harm against either defendant.

The judge ordered both to lie on file, and to be placed on the Sex Offenders Register for life.

Det Sgt Simon Hurwood, from Cleveland Police, said: "This was the most disturbing case I have had to deal with."

After the pair were jailed, the victim told how the attack had affected her but vowed not to let it destroy her.

She said: "What I was subjected to affects me every day. I'll never be the same again.

"At times I feel I am just existing, not living, but you have got to get on with your life. You can't put everything on hold."

Suffers flashbacks

She said she suffered flashbacks and was nervous to go out but was determined to get on with her life.

"I had mixed emotions today but I wanted to be in court to help find some closure on this," she said.

"It was the first time I had seen their faces. They did a terrible thing but I try not to think about them, it doesn't help the healing process."

She said she had been supported by family, friends and the police after the attack.


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific