[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 11 February, 2004, 18:22 GMT
Girl's eye glued in drops mix-up
Michelle and Karen Skidmore
Michelle was treating Karen for conjunctivitis
A seven-year-old girl has been told she will not lose her sight after her eye was glued shut in a bizarre accident.

Michelle Skidmore, from east Cleveland, accidentally used nail glue instead of eye drops to treat her daughter.

Doctors have said Karen - who could not open her eye for three days - may have suffered a scratched cornea.

Ms Skidmore said the two containers were almost identical and she felt "awful" at what happened.

She urged other parents to carefully check medication before giving it to their children.

Ms Skidmore said: "On Friday she [Karen] was diagnosed with conjunctivitis and I went to give the drops to her.

"Unfortunately I had some nail glue in the cupboard at the time and I picked up that instead.

"When I realised what I had done it was too late as her eye was glued shut by then.

"She can see through her eye now, but it is only half open."

Ms Skidmore admitted it had been a "stupid" mistake, but was taking advice from Trading Standards and a solicitor about it.

She added: "The bottles are very, very similar in colour - they are both lilac and pink - and they have even got a similar logo on them.

"Trading standards have had a look, I'm seeing solicitors about it as well but I just want to warn other mothers to study medication very carefully, read the label twice if you have to.

"It was a stupid mistake, but if you see the bottles they are almost identical with the same nozzle and everything."





PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific