Page last updated at 09:14 GMT, Thursday, 4 February 2010

Setbacks for Brighton O ferris wheel and i360 projects

An artist's impression of what the Brighton O Ferris wheel may look like
Developers want to build the wheel on an alternative site

Two iconic structures planned for Brighton seafront will go ahead despite setbacks, developers have said.

The i360 viewing tower, due to be built near the remains of the West Pier, still needs a sponsor.

Meanwhile, developers hoping to build the Brighton O, a giant Ferris wheel, have withdrawn a planning application that was to be decided on Wednesday.

Paramount Attractions said it hoped to build the Brighton O on an alternative site before the end of the year.

David Marks, of Marks Barfield Associates, who designed the i360, said the steel for the tower had already been rolled, but the project was still short of cash, and needed a sponsor.

He said: "We have got most of the money in place. We have made the significant investment in the project and this year, now that we are coming to the end of the recession, we are hoping to finalise the funding and get on with it."

'Economic benefits'

Plans for the Brighton O, a 60m (197ft) observation wheel, were due to be considered by Brighton and Hove City Council on Wednesday. Planning officers had recommended the proposal to be refused.

A statement from Paramount Attractions said: "Following three months of exhaustive efforts by Paramount Attractions and Brighton and Hove City Council to resolve concerns raised by its immediate neighbours, including the i360, a solution could not be found.

"However, the Brighton O team - which already has £6 million in place to complete the project - is continuing to work in partnership with the council to agree an alternative site on Brighton seafront, with the aim of opening the attraction in 2010."

Council leader Mary Mears said: "The planning consultation showed there was a lot of support for the O because of the economic and tourism benefits it would bring.

"Some of the objectors also commented that they could support the idea if it was on another site."

Advertisement

David Marks, of Marks Barfield Associates, who designed the i360, said the steel for the tower had already been rolled.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
West Pier clean-up gets under way
02 Feb 10 |  Sussex
Brighton tower delayed for year
20 Oct 08 |  Sussex

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

FROM OTHER NEWS SITES
Brighton & Hove Argus Brighton tourism given huge boost - 2 hrs ago
24dash.com Sad day for Brighton as demolition men move in on ruined West Pier - 6 hrs ago



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific