Page last updated at 12:26 GMT, Thursday, 11 December 2008

Inquiry call over Cuckmere plans

Cuckmere Estuary, East Sussex
Current flood defences are reaching the end of their natural life

A MP has renewed his call for a public inquiry into plans to turn Cuckmere Valley into a tidal floodplain.

The Environment Agency announced on Wednesday that it would allow the East Sussex valley to flood, turning it into a salt marsh nature reserve.

It said climate change meant its flood risk management had to change.

Eastbourne MP Nigel Waterson said he was writing to the government to demand a "proper public inquiry" and he wanted the consultation details published.

'Unique natural feature'

"Unfortunately the Environment Agency seem determined to abandon this very special area to the sea.

"They have not provided the detailed results of the consultation and I demand that they are published, but we do know that this unique natural feature is hugely popular with local people and visitors alike," Mr Waterson said.

"They claim that nothing will happen immediately but in the same breath they say they will not repair damage caused by severe storms.

"One such storm could weaken the existing defences to such an extent that the sea could pour in. And there is a real risk of the A259 being cut [off] by flooding.

"I continue to be totally convinced that the only way to ensure popular support for these plans is to hold a proper public inquiry, where both sides of the argument can be heard."

Withdraw maintenance

Following the announcement on Wednesday, the Environment Agency's area manager Andrew Pearce said climate change presented it with challenges over the way it manages flood risk in the area.

He said it would not be right continually to build bigger defences to protect the valley, which was created by the Victorians in 1846. The money saved could be directed where it was most needed.

Mr Pearce also said consultation had taken place with the public and people who owned or occupied land in the area had already been informed of the decision to withdraw maintenance after a two-year notice period which would start on 1 April 2009.

Residents who opposed the plan had called for more sea defences to keep the valley in its current state, and had said the plan would destroy wildlife, footpaths and parts of the local beach.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Valley to be returned to the sea
10 Dec 08 |  Sussex
Valley plans 'go against nature'
17 Jul 06 |  Southern Counties
Call for inquiry on Cuckmere plan
10 Jul 06 |  Southern Counties
River's shingle deposits removed
17 Jan 05 |  Southern Counties
Fresh bid to stop valley flooding
21 Apr 04 |  Southern Counties

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific