BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Tuesday, 27 November 2007, 12:53 GMT
Cockatiel alerts owner to flames
The loud squawks of a pet cockatiel have saved the life of its owner after flames engulfed his kitchen.

The resident in a first floor flat in Bexhill, East Sussex, had fallen asleep after cooking himself a meal and leaving a frying pan on the stove.

Firefighters arrived to find him standing outside the property, with smoke billowing from the windows.

Graham Hobden, of Bexhill fire station, said they managed to rescue the bird from inside and it survived unscathed.

"He'd actually done the right thing in getting out as soon as he possibly could," he said.

"The cage which the bird was in was quite large so it would have been very awkward for him to carry it out."

But Mr Hobden warned that householders should not rely on their pets to detect fire, and should ensure that they had a working smoke alarm in their property.

SEE ALSO

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific