Page last updated at 09:46 GMT, Sunday, 3 May 2009 10:46 UK

Pupils ill after bulb put in soup

A dozen primary school pupils needed hospital treatment after eating a daffodil bulb in a cookery class, a Suffolk council has said.

The children, from Gorseland Primary School in Martlesham Heath, fell ill after mistakenly adding the bulb to a soup on Friday.

Daffodil bulbs are poisonous and can be fatal if eaten in large quantities.

The pupils were taken to Ipswich Hospital, but were allowed home later, said Suffolk County Council.

A council spokesman said: "A class of 30 children from Gorseland Primary School were making soup, using onions from their own kitchen garden.

"Unfortunately, a daffodil bulb was used by mistake, making a number of the children sick.

"The school immediately called NHS Direct and the children's parents.

"An incident team was rushed to the school and 12 children were taken to Ipswich Hospital as a precautionary measure but were allowed home later in the afternoon."



Print Sponsor


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2013 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific