Page last updated at 14:19 GMT, Thursday, 11 September 2008 15:19 UK

'Miracle' puppy swallowed arrow

Summer-June
Summer-June was taken to the vets after repeatedly vomiting

A puppy had a "miracle" escape after swallowing a 10in (25cm) arrow.

Four-month-old Summer-June was taken to Swayne and Partners in Long Melford, Suffolk, after repeatedly vomiting.

An x-ray showed a rubber suction pad inside the Staffordshire bull terrier and when vets operated they found it was attached to a wooden arrow.

Vet Simon Culmstock said: "It was a miracle the dog managed to eat and swallow the thing and that it didn't perforate its stomach."

He added: "The arrow had been snapped in half so it had a jagged edge.

"If the stomach or gullet had been punctured, it would have led to massive peritonitis, which is usually fatal."

I couldn't believe it when this 10in bit of wood came out - it was probably between a third and half the length of the dog
Simon Culmstock, vet

During his 11-year career, Mr Culmstock has removed snooker balls, pencils and items of clothing from dogs' stomachs, but he admitted he had never seen an arrow before.

"I was expecting to find a little piece of tennis ball or plastic," he said.

"I couldn't believe it when this 10in bit of wood came out - it was probably between a third and half the length of the dog."

Owner Leanne Heffer, 33, of Haverhill, Suffolk, praised the work of the vet.

"It was my seven-year-old daughter's arrow and we didn't realise Summer-June had eaten it," she said.

"It was a lucky escape. I'm ecstatic. The vet has done a wonderful job."

Advertisement

The puppy's owner said she was worth every penny of the bill to come




RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific