[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Tuesday, 16 October 2007, 13:36 GMT 14:36 UK
'Maggots' found in school dinners
Maggots (generic)
Kitchen staff discovered the contaminated rice
Maggot-like parasites were found in a curry which was about to be served to children at a school in Suffolk.

Kitchen staff discovered the contaminated rice before it was served to pupils at Chalkstone Middle School and Technology College in Haverhill.

A Suffolk County Council spokesman said: "The meal was immediately withdrawn. Cold lunches were provided instead and lunch money was refunded."

The product is being examined by environmental health officers.

"The rice product, which is supplied by a reputable supplier, was well within its best before date of April 2009," the spokesman continued.

There were no reports of anyone eating the rice or suffering as a result
Suffolk County Council spokesman

"All other schools in Suffolk were contacted and told to withdraw open batches of the rice or return them.

"There were no reports of anyone eating the rice or suffering as a result."

Nigel Giles, head teacher at Chalkstone, was unavailable to comment on the incident, which occurred on 8 October.

The matter is being investigated by environmental health officers at Forest Heath District Council because the contaminated rice came from a warehouse in their district.

"The investigation is under way and the school has destroyed its stock of rice. No further rice will be supplied until the investigation is completed," an environmental health spokeswoman said.

When asked whether the parasites were maggots, the spokeswoman replied: "They certainly look like maggots."

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific