Fast food giant KFC has been fined £13,000 for selling uncooked chicken which food safety officers say posed a "risk to public health".
A customer complained that the food was not properly cooked
Ipswich Borough Council prosecuted the outlet at Cardinal Park, Ipswich, Suffolk, after a complaint.
Ipswich magistrates heard a customer complained in November 2003 saying they had been served crispy chicken strips that were uncooked or partially cooked.
KFC pleaded guilty to selling food unfit for human consumption.
'High food poisoning risk'
The company was also ordered to pay £1,800 costs.
KFC is believed to be appealing against the £13,000 fine.
Ann Bryant, a spokesman for Ipswich council's food safety team, said: "Obviously, with the uncooked chicken product there was a high risk of food poisoning.
"There was a real risk to public health, particularly with the high level of trade in this product. This prosecution sends out a very clear message to food firms."
A spokesman for KFC said: "We wish to apologise for this incident which occurred over a year ago and we have subsequently changed our procedures and re-trained all staff."