Page last updated at 11:02 GMT, Sunday, 1 February 2009

Stoke City squatter's tent burned

David Barker
David Barker planned to camp on the site for 10 years

A man who has lived on the derelict site of Stoke City FC's former Victoria Ground since New Year's Day has had his tent burned down.

David Barker said he wanted to occupy the site for 10 years in order to gain possession of it legally and turn it over to park use.

He said he was taking action because it had lain derelict for 11 years.

But it was set alight on Friday afternoon. He was not inside at the time and said he planned to return.

Developer St Modwen has threatened him with eviction but has not taken any legal action against him so for, he said.

The firm applied for planning consent to convert the site for housing but said in December the plans had been delayed by the falling housing market.

Mr Barker plans to use the law of adverse possession to gain control of the site.

Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Man pledges 10-year site protest
17 Jan 09 |  Staffordshire
Housing slump hits stadium plans
29 Dec 08 |  Staffordshire
Club agree stadium buy-out deal
07 Jun 07 |  Staffordshire
Talks over old ground site
20 Apr 03 |  Staffordshire

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2018 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific