Page last updated at 20:19 GMT, Tuesday, 12 August 2008 21:19 UK

Workers left ill by tunnel fumes

Three maintenance workers became ill after breathing in fumes in a disused railway tunnel in Staffordshire.

Emergency crews were called to the Harecastle Tunnel in Kidsgrove just after 1100 BST.

Firefighters were called to help reach two of the workers in the tunnel, while another two escaped without being affected by the fumes.

One man, believed to be in his 20s, was taken to hospital for further treatment.




RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2018 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific