The Football Association's decision to consider resurrecting a Burton-on-Trent training base for future England stars has been welcomed by MPs.
The plans were shelved by the Football Association last year
The FA shelved plans for the National Football Centre, despite spending £20m on top quality pitches. But on Monday the scheme was being reconsidered.
Janet Dean, Labour MP for Burton, said she hoped this time the plans for the centre "go ahead properly".
The £80m centre was to develop the next generation of England internationals.
Ms Dean said: "I'm hoping that because now Wembley stadium is finished - and I think the current leadership in the FA are enthusiastic about it - I'm hoping that this time it goes ahead properly.
"I know that it's costing a lot of money to keep it (the site) in good condition".
The state-of-the-art centre was to include 14 pitches as well as sports medicine and sports science centres.
Work was put on hold in 2004 due to the FA's financial problems. And an FA board meeting in August 2006 decided that the association should not make any further financial commitment.
But on Monday, the centre received significant backing. The completion of Wembley stadium being among reasons that pressures against the centre's development had been removed.
FA director of football development Sir Trevor Brooking said: "We hope there is a positive outcome and we can start to put together a business plan and work up funding and budgets for the proposal.
"It has been frustrating for quite a few people and it would be a wonderful site to work from."
However, the FA stressed it was considering all its options, including selling off the land.