[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Tuesday, 24 July 2007, 19:14 GMT 20:14 UK
Firm fined over slurry pit death
John Pointon & Sons
The firm admitted health and safety breaches
An animal rendering firm has been fined 700,000 after an employee died when he fell into a pit of offal.

John Pointon and Sons of Cheddleton, Staffordshire, was convicted of four counts of breaching health and safety laws at Stafford Crown Court.

Glynn Thompson, 45, died in August 2004 trying to help a colleague in the slurry pit when he slipped and fell.

In mitigation, the firm said its health and safety had been poor but had since changed beyond recognition.

After the hearing Det Con Chris Short of Staffordshire Police said it had all been avoidable.

"If the company had put in place the adequate health and safety measures that were required then this would not have happened," he said.

The case was brought by the Health and Safety Executive.

Spokesman Graham Barnes said he hoped other companies would learn lessons from the case and realise the importance of effective health and safety management.




VIDEO AND AUDIO NEWS
Glyn Thompson died trying to save a colleague



SEE ALSO
Boss cleared over offal pit death
14 May 07 |  Staffordshire

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific