One of the boy attackers filmed the ordeal
One of two young boys brutally attacked by two brothers in an isolated wooded ravine told the younger victim "you go and I'll just die here", a court heard.
A sentencing judge at Sheffield Crown Court continued to hear details of the 90-minute ordeal inflicted by the brothers, aged 10 and 11 at the time.
Nicholas Campbell QC told the court how the elder victim, then 11, said he could not see or move his body.
The brothers have admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent.
The incident happened in Edlington, South Yorkshire, on 4 April last year.
The accused brothers have also each pleaded guilty to robbing one of the boys of a mobile phone and the other of cash and have admitted two counts of intentionally causing a child to engage in sexual activity.
Mr Campbell, prosecuting, described how, after the brothers left the scene, the younger boy, then aged nine, knelt next to the other boy and asked him if he was okay.
The elder boy replied: "No. I can't see and I can't move my body."
He went on: "You go and I'll just die here."
The judge, Mr Justice Keith, previously heard how the brothers threatened to kill the boys during the ordeal in which they were stamped on and attacked with broken glass, bricks and sticks.
One victim was forced to strip naked and perform a sex act and the elder boy was badly hurt when pieces of ceramic sink were dropped on his head, the court heard.
Yesterday, the families of the two victims gasped and cried as mobile phone footage of part of the attack was played in court.
The 20-second video, taken by one of the brothers, showed his sibling taunting and hitting one of his victims as he lay on the ground covered in blood.
Mr Campbell told the court the younger victim left the scene and came across a local man, Derek Wright.
Mr Wright laughed at first because he thought the boy, who was soaked in blood, had been painted.
The prosecutor said Mr Wright took the boy to his house and then his eyes started to roll as if he was going into shock.
Mr Wright's sons, Trevor and Ian, searched for the second boy who was found lying face down with the bottom half of his body naked, the judge heard.
Mr Campbell said Mr Wright's son Ian feared the youngster had died and said: "There didn't appear to be any life in him."
The doctor who arrived with the air ambulance at the scene, said the boy was "unresponsive" and had a temperature of 28.5C (83.3F) - a sign of severe hypothermia, the judge was told.
He was taken to the intensive care unit at Sheffield Children's Hospital with a range of injuries all over his body, including fractures to his face.
Mr Campbell said: "Had he lain undiscovered for much longer, [the hospital consultant] is of the opinion that the outcome could well have been a fatal one."
During police interview, the court heard the older brother said he attacked the boys because he had been bored and "there were nowt to do".
The older brother admitted causing some injuries to the boys but said everything else was his sibling's fault.
Both boys denied intending to kill either boy and the older brother said at no stage did he or his brother threaten to kill them.
The three-day sentencing hearing is expected to conclude on Friday.
A BBC investigation has already revealed the two attackers were well-known troublemakers and that social services were heavily involved in their lives.
A Safeguarding Children Board report, seen by BBC Newsnight, found the attack could have been prevented.