[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 20 April 2006, 07:18 GMT 08:18 UK
Man killed in cigarette accident
A hospital patient being treated with a flammable gel for a skin condition has died after being engulfed in flames as he lit a cigarette.

It is believed 60-year-old Philip Hoe was smoking on a fire escape at Doncaster Royal Infirmary on Monday.

He was taken to the Northern General Hospital in Sheffield with serious burns but later died.

The hospital is not releasing details, but said: "This is a tragic event. Our hearts go out to his family."

It is understood that hospital staff followed the correct procedures and the incident is being treated as a tragic accident.

'Counselling available'

Patients at the hospital have spoken of their shock following the accident.

Margaret Eastwood, who was there with her husband Colin, said she was horrified.

"He should never have been allowed to have a cigarette.

"Hospitals are meant to be no smoking but why was he allowed to have a cigarette? I hope there is a thorough investigation. It sounds horrendous," she said.

A spokeswoman for Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust said an investigation had been launched.

"Counselling will be made available to staff, patients and family members if required," she added.

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Police said there did not appear to be any suspicious circumstances.

An inquest into Mr Hoe's death is due to open on Thursday.




RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific