[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 11 November 2005, 18:30 GMT
Lip piercing death 'misadventure'
Daniel Hindle
Daniel Hindle died from blood poisoning
A coroner's jury has returned a misadventure verdict on a teenager who died of blood poisoning after having his lip pierced.

Daniel Hindle, 17, of Carvale Drive, Richmond, Sheffield, died in December 2002 - two months after the piercing at Body Poppers in the city.

He was first admitted to hospital in October 2002 with a fever and vomiting.

South Yorkshire coroner Chris Dorries said lip piercing could be dangerous, but the salon was not to blame.

Daniel's mother Christina Anderson was in tears outside the hearing as she said: "When Daniel died my one belief was that it was caused by his simple body piercing.

"Today has been a triumph."

Body piercing started a chain of events that eventually cost Daniel his life
Solicitor Richard Starkie

Daniel was born with a heart condition and she added: "I hope that this today, and the wider attention the inquest has attracted, will cause anyone considering undertaking body piercing to stop and think twice about these risks."

She said she was now dedicating herself to educating teenagers about the risks associated with piercing.

Ms Anderson's comments followed those of coroner Chris Dorries who said he would be writing to a number of professional bodies to warn about the dangers posed by body piercing to those vulnerable to infection.

Mr Dorries said: "Those who are vulnerable to infection, because of a heart condition or any other reason, perhaps need to understand this isn't just the fusty old adults trying to stop their fun.

"There can be very real risks.

"I intend to take the steps we have spoken of here to bring the circumstances of Daniel's case to the attention of those in authority who may be in a position to spread this message a little better."

'Chain of events'

Mr Dorries said he hoped a medical paper would be published which would help advise cardiologists on what they should tell their patients with heart conditions regarding piercing.

Ms Anderson said she would continue to run her website, www.danaid.com

Her solicitor Richard Starkie said: "Lip piercing is known to be one of the more dangerous types, due to the amount of bacteria present in the mouth.

"The evidence we've heard in this inquest reinforces the need for national guidelines regarding the training and standards of those practising body piercing.

"There are currently no such regulations and in the case of Sheffield, the code of practice is voluntary. In my view, regulation should be compulsory.

"In this case, body piercing started a chain of events that eventually cost Daniel his life."




SEE ALSO:
Teenager died after lip piercing
08 Nov 05 |  South Yorkshire


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific