A parent has spoken of his anger after his wife had to go to their daughter's school to put a plaster on when staff said they were not allowed to.
Julie Scott, 38, was called by staff at Uphill Primary School near Weston-super-Mare, after her daughter Emily, 9, cut her finger.
The school said strict guidelines meant they were not allowed to give plasters.
The head says the school is to review their interpretation to make sure they take a "common sense approach".
Mrs Scott travelled the short distance to the school, bandaged up her daughter's finger and left a box of plasters by her desk in case of any "further mishaps".
Staff at the school told Mrs Scott that local council guidelines meant they were unable to put the sticking plaster on Emily's cut finger.
But Emily's father Kevan, 39, criticised the guidelines.
He said: "The whole saga is absolutely ridiculous. My daughter had a tiny cut and I just cannot see the reason why a plaster couldn't be put on her finger by the staff.
"I am not criticising the school at all which has always been great. The staff I've spoken to there think the rule is stupid also.
"When my wife went in to put the plaster on Emily's finger the teachers were apologising to her for having to come in.
"It's a ludicrous guideline that the school seem to have been given, people should be men not mice."
North Somerset Council stated that their guidelines have been interpreted incorrectly.
A council spokesman said: "We provide broad guidelines for first aid in schools and there is no mention of using plasters.
"Each child joining a school has to produce a medical declaration which includes allergies and therefore it is down to the school to use its judgement about whether it is appropriate to use plasters or not.
"This case highlights that we perhaps need to re-issue guidelines to schools to clarify the issue," he said.