A woman from Cornwall used the internet to identify a poisonous spider after she was bitten by one hidden in bananas bought from a local supermarket.
The Wandering Spider is one of the world's most deadly spiders
Kim Boxwell, 24, of St Columb Minor, near Newquay, was bitten by a Brazilian Wandering Spider which was in a bunch of bananas from a Co-op store.
She was taken to the Royal Cornwall Hospital and given antihistamines.
The spider, which is known for its speed and aggression, is usually found in banana plantations.
Ms Boxwell developed a rash from the bite after buying the bananas on 11 August.
As her symptoms got worse, she called NHS Direct and was taken by ambulance to the Royal Cornwall Hospital.
However, the spider could not be formally identified because it was not captured.
A Co-op spokeswoman said: "Our customer relations manager did speak to the customer to check she was OK.
"We have apologised and she will receive a gift to compensate for any concern or unpleasantness this may have caused.
"This is a very, very rare occurrence. There are a number of stringent checks in place and our supplier hasn't known of any spiders to be harmful."