Page last updated at 08:49 GMT, Sunday, 17 May 2009 09:49 UK

Fire warning after car tow blaze

Drivers have been reminded not to leave their car in gear when towing them after a Smart car caught fire at a busy interchange in Shropshire.

It was being towed by a motor home when it ignited on the A464 Castle Farm Interchange near junction 4 of the M54, Telford, at about 1030 BST on Saturday.

The fire service said the car had caught fire because it had been left in gear, causing the engine to turn.

A driver spotted flames coming from the towed vehicle and alerted the owners.

Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service said no-one was in the towed car at the time and no-one was hurt.

It has asked people to check their cars before setting out on a journey and putting them on a tow bar.



Print Sponsor


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2020 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific