Page last updated at 19:28 GMT, Friday, 17 October 2008 20:28 UK

Man dies after asbestos exposure

Richard George
Mr George died in hospital in June aged 81

A man died after being exposed to asbestos during a fire 25 years ago at a Ministry of Defence (MoD) base, an inquest has heard.

Richard George, who was a messenger at the base in Telford in Shropshire, died in June of mesothelioma due to asbestos exposure, aged 81 years old.

Debris was scattered over a 15-mile radius around Telford after the roof of the building went up in flames.

Coroner Michael Gwen recorded a verdict of death by industrial disease.

'Learned lessons'

Mr George's wife, Dorothy, who also worked at the site, was advised by the coroner to seek medical advice.

In April, an inquest jury ruled that 31-year-old Ellen Paddock died accidentally, due to cancer caused by exposure to the ash.

Her family's claim for compensation is expected to be heard at the High Court next summer, two years after her death.

The MoD has said it had "learned lessons" since the 1983 fire.

Documents seen by the BBC's Inside Out team, showed safety measures at the base were ruled out in 1977 - six years before the fire - on "operational grounds" and cost.

Advertisement

The blaze ripped through COD Donnington at Telford




SEE ALSO
Cancer woman's death 'accidental'
23 Apr 08 |  Shropshire
Blaze cancer claim mother dies
20 Nov 07 |  Shropshire
MoD sued over fire cancer claim
16 Apr 07 |  Shropshire

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific