BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 21 November 2007, 07:12 GMT
Dog saved after swallowing needle
Louie under anaesthetic
Louie was rushed to the vets for an operation
A dog has had a lucky escape after swallowing a sewing needle.

Louie the beagle was spotted by his owner Sue Mitchell with the needle in his mouth but swallowed it before she could retrieve it.

He was rushed to a vet in Telford who cut him open and managed to remove it and he has now made a full recovery.

"It's just one of those things that you do not expect to happen," Sue, from Shifnal, Shrops, told BBC News. "You only have to turn away for a second."

'Caught red-handed'

Vet Barry Jacob, from Companion Care, said Louie could have easily died.

"We x-rayed Louie as soon as he was brought into the surgery and we could see that it appeared to be in the stomach," he said.

"It was too risky to leave it there so we undertook an emergency operation and it went very well.

"It was potentially very serious because if the needle had perforated the intestines it may have caused peritonitis (infection of the abdominal cavity).

"Fortunately, Louie was caught red-handed and brought straight down to us."

VIDEO AND AUDIO NEWS
Louie's owner describes rushing him to the vet



RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific