Page last updated at 15:08 GMT, Sunday, 6 April 2008 16:08 UK

Cat saves residents from flames

Residents at an apartment block in Oxfordshire had a lucky escape from a fire after a cat raised the alarm.

Lucky woke her owner up after the blaze broke out in the ground floor flat in Florence House in Bath Road, Banbury in the early hours of Saturday.

The other residents were shaken but unhurt in the fire, which was caused by an electrical fault.

Two fire crews used breathing apparatus, high pressure carbon dioxide and water jets to tackle the fire.

Chris Wilson, station manager for Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service, said the block of flats had a fire alarm but its battery had been removed.

He urged people to check their fire alarms regularly to make sure they are working.




RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific