A 56-year-old former priest admitted getting on to the track and trying to disrupt the British Grand Prix at Silverstone.
Horan was tackled to the ground
Cornelius "Neil" Horan pleaded guilty to a single charge of
aggravated trespass at the Silverstone circuit when he appeared via video-link at Northampton Magistrates Court.
The case was adjourned until 1 September for the preparation of pre-sentence reports.
There was no application for bail and Horan, from Howbury Road, Nunhead, south-east London, was remanded in custody.
The charges relate to an incident during the race at the
Northamptonshire circuit on Sunday 20 July, won by the Ferrari driver
A television audience of millions world-wide watched as Horan breached
security and faced down cars wearing a tam o'shanter and kilt and carrying
The protest took place on the fastest part of the course, the Hangar Straight,
where cars can reach up to 200mph.
Several drivers had to swerve to avoid him and the safety car had to be
deployed to protect participants.
Horan, who is originally from County Kerry in the Irish Republic, was
eventually wrestled to the ground, arrested and taken for
Speeding drivers swerved to avoid Horan
Opposing an application for bail at Horan's first appearance in court on 21 July, Suraj Minocha said Horan's actions put not only himself at risk but the drivers, marshals and the public.
He said it was "very clear" his actions were deliberate:
he bought his ticket in advance, was carrying a change of clothing and placards
and was fully aware of Formula One racing.
Horan's actions were designed to promote his religious beliefs and he told
police he acted because his previous attempts to get his views aired in the
Press and via politicians had failed, he added.
Paul Carter, defending, told the bench his client was an
"eccentric" who had been treated for depression for a number of years and was
on incapacity benefit.
He was a man of strong moral views and had been "on sabbatical" from the Roman Catholic priesthood for nine years.