Page last updated at 13:58 GMT, Friday, 23 October 2009 14:58 UK

Soldier 'proud' of anti-war march

L/Cpl Joe Glenton
L/Cpl Joe Glenton met his wife Claire while absent without leave

The wife of a York soldier who refused to return to Afghanistan says her husband is proud to be leading an anti-war protest due to be held in London.

L/Cpl Joe Glenton, of the Royal Logistic Corps, is fighting a court martial for desertion after going absent without leave in 2007.

The 27-year-old is expected to lead thousands of protesters in a march through central London on Saturday.

His wife Claire said: "He's very excited and proud of what he's doing."

Having joined the Army in 2004, L/Cpl Glenton went Awol in 2007 before handing himself in after two years and six days.

He's had a surprising amount of support both in and outside the military, lots of soldiers are quietly supporting him
L/Cpl Glenton's wife Claire

He appeared before a court martial in August where his case was adjourned until November.

The soldier could be sentenced for up to two years in prison if he is found guilty of desertion.

In the meantime he has returned to normal duties with his regiment at his base in Abingdon, Oxfordshire.

Speaking to BBC Radio York, Mrs Glenton said her husband had received a lot of support.

"He's had a surprising amount of support both in and outside the military, lots of soldiers are quietly supporting him."

Mrs Glenton met her husband through a mutual friend in Australia while he was absent without leave.

'Simple soldier'

They married in the UK earlier this year.

She added: "I think Joe represents just a simple soldier who has these thoughts and feelings on what's going on out there and I think other people are thinking 'if he can do it, why can't I?'.

"He's very proud to be leading the march, it means so much to him. It's probably not where he thought he'd be this time last year but it's had a huge effect on him."

The march will start from Hyde Park to Trafalgar Square, where a rally will be held as part of a campaign to bring British troops home.

The Ministry of Defence said it would not comment on the march or on L/Cpl Glenton's case.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Awol accused soldier 'no coward'
01 Sep 09 |  North Yorkshire
Awol accused soldier faces court
03 Aug 09 |  North Yorkshire
Soldier takes war protest to PM
30 Jul 09 |  North Yorkshire
L/Cpl Joe Glenton's letter to the PM
30 Jul 09 |  North Yorkshire

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2019 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific