[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Sunday, 16 July 2006, 09:44 GMT 10:44 UK
Coastal defence works completed
Scarborough
Work started on the 40m project in 2002
Controversial sea defence works in Scarborough have been completed.

The 53m project, one of the biggest of its kind in Europe, saw original iron railings along Marine Drive replaced with a one-metre-high concrete wall.

It cost almost 30m more than first expected, there were complaints about the removal of the Victorian railings and faults in the sea wall were found.

But the council said the faults had been fixed and Marine Drive has reopened to pedestrians and vehicles.

'Future monitoring'

Godfrey Allanson, from Scarborough Council, said: "I am delighted to see that the remedial works have been completed before the main visitor season and that both residents and visitors will once again to able to enjoy the full splendour of a stroll around the drive.

"We will, of course, be undertaking monitoring in the future but the benefits of the works are already self-evident for those who regularly use this important part of Scarborough's frontage."

An aerial scan of the site will be carried out at the end of July to check the works and provide a benchmark to monitor ongoing performance of the sea defences.

Further monitoring will take place once a year.


SEE ALSO
'Sorry tale' of council mistakes
06 Jan 06 |  North Yorkshire
Concern at sea wall plan
11 Mar 03 |  England
Council chief withdraws objection
21 Dec 05 |  North Yorkshire
Controversial scheme goes on show
07 Apr 04 |  North Yorkshire

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific