[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 23 April, 2003, 14:10 GMT 15:10 UK
Minster introduces admission charges
York Minster
A scheme asking for voluntary donations of 3.50 has not worked
Visitors to York Minister are to be charged for admission for the first time.

A voluntary donation scheme has failed to raise enough money for the cathedral's future spending plans.

The Archbishop of York Dr David Hope has said he is "dismayed and saddened" by the decision.

The level of charge has not been confirmed, but voluntary donations were set at 3.50 while Canterbury Cathedral charges 4.

More than one million people visit the Minster each year, although the number of overseas visitors has fallen since the foot and mouth crisis and the Iraqi war.

Tower charge

Only one in four visitors to the Minster, Europe's biggest mediaeval cathedral, gave a donation last year.

Brigadier Peter Lyddon, Chapter Steward of York Minster, said: "At the moment we have insufficient income for the planned expenditure.

"We do charge to go up the tower, but yes, this will be a new charge.

"We tried for a year with voluntary donations but only 25% of people gave us a donation, which was very disappointing.

"This has come as a last resort."

The admission charge will come into effect from the summer.




SEE ALSO:
Durham keeps doors open for free
05 Feb 03  |  England
Cathedral fee may be banned
04 Feb 03  |  England


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific