Page last updated at 16:47 GMT, Friday, 27 March 2009

Firm fined after fatal accident

A company has been fined £25,000 for breaching health and safety rules, after a welder was electrocuted in an accident in a dry dock.

Kevin Hall, 46, of Blofield, Norfolk, was killed while working for Great Yarmouth firm Richards Dry Dock Engineering on 5 August.

Mr Hall was working on a ship when water came out of a pipe that should have been plugged.

Richards was also ordered to pay £34,744 costs, at Norfolk Crown Court.

John Claxton, of the Health and Safety Executive, said: "It is unfortunate one man in employment has died in a confined space as a result of a company failing to understand the risks and applying sensible and practical measures.

"His death was needless for the sake of sticking a metal plug on the end of a pipe to seal it."

Jonathan Caplan, for the company, said: "Following the tragic accident the defendant (Richard Dry Docks) had carried out a full review and have now appointed a health and safety manager."

Print Sponsor

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2018 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific