[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 1 June 2006, 13:30 GMT 14:30 UK
Home-alone son blows up bungalow
Damaged kitchen
The fire spread to a bag containing an aerosol which exploded
A couple cut short their holiday after their teenage son telephoned to say he had blown up their house.

Sean Davey, 18, of Caister-on-Sea, Norfolk, left a basket of laundry on top of the electric cooker and did not notice the hob had been switched on.

A fire spread to a deodorant can which exploded, blowing out the windows and lifting the roof off the bungalow.

Structural work to the building is estimated at 20,000, with 15,000 more to repair fire and smoke damage inside.

Sean's mother Joanne Bray and her husband Paul cut short their holiday in Scotland when they heard about the fire on Sunday evening.

Son forgiven

Ms Bray said: "It's not mentionable what I said to him.

"Sean had taken some washing out of the machine and put it on to the hob, which somehow got switched on.

"He hadn't cooked for three days so we know he hadn't left it on. Our dog could get onto the units so she might have knocked it on.

"Then a bag of shopping by the side had an aerosol can in it and caboom."

The family cannot live in the house until the repair work has been carried out.

But Ms Bray said he had forgiven her son: "He is alive. He wasn't in the house - that's the most important thing."




BBC NEWS: VIDEO AND AUDIO
See the damage



RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific