[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 26 August 2005, 17:56 GMT 18:56 UK
Ten jailed for Euro 2004 violence
Broken window
A total of 37 windows were smashed at the pub
Ten men involved in a violent attack on a Portuguese-run pub after England's defeat in Euro 2004 have been jailed for between eight and 18 months.

They were part of a mob which hurled missiles at the pub in Thetford, Norfolk, leaving eight people injured.

The ten were sentenced at Norwich Crown Court on Friday. Two women were given serve community punishment orders.

Det Insp Paul Durham said the violence had been shameful and had sent shockwaves through the community.

Euro 2004 riot sentences
Daniel Ramm, 25, of Fir Road, Thetford, jailed for 12 months for affray
William Harvey, 20, of The Heywood, Diss, 12 months for violent disorder
Wayne Whittred, 27, of Ulfkell Road, Thetford, 12 months for affray
Daniel May, 21, of Wilbye Avenue, Diss, 18 months for violent disorder.
Steven Rothwell, 32, of Wilbye Avenue, Diss, 12 months for violent disorder
Cheryl Ellwood, 18, of Gloucester Way, Thetford, 80 hours' community punishment for threatening behaviour
Danny Remblance, 20, of Common Road, Shelfanger, 12 months for violent disorder
Simon Robertshaw, 26, of Queensway, Thetford, eight months for violent disorder
Christine Pickersgill, 18, of St Johns Way, Thetford, 120 hours' community punishment for violent disorder
Terry Curtis, 19, of Ely Way, Thetford, 15 months for violent disorder
David Hill, 40, of Gloucester Way, Thetford, 10 months for violent disorder
Ricky Whittred, 25, of Ulfkell Road, Thetford, 12 months for violent disorder

Judge Alisdair Darroch told the 12 the events of 24 June had been one of Norfolk's worst disturbances.

He said the message had to be sent that if you get involved in this sort of conduct the almost inevitable sentence is imprisonment.

After Portugal defeated England in the competition, a crowd of about 200 people gathered outside the Red Lion pub, then occupied by 40 people, including women and children.

The crowd shouted racist abuse and hurled missiles smashing 37 windows at the pub, as the people inside were forced to barricade the doors.

Police who formed a cordon round the pub as they waited for reinforcements to arrive were also pelted with missiles, including paving slabs.

Two officers and six people inside the pub were injured.

Sentencing nine defendants for violent disorder, two for affray and one for threatening behaviour Judge Darroch said: "It was extremely frightening to members of the Portuguese community, in particular who were in the public house and a number of children were frightened."

Injured Portuguese fan
Portuguese fans inside the pub were injured

Det Insp Paul Durham, who was the senior investigating officer, said the level of violence directed at the town's Portuguese community was shameful and sent shockwaves through the community.

"It is a credit to the law-abiding people of Thetford that their subsequent assistance in identifying some of these offenders played a significant part in the overall success of the investigation," he said.

Another three people have yet to be sentenced.

They are Patrick Hendry, 39, of Grasmere Green, Wellingborough, Northants, who was convicted of affray, and Marcus Henriccsen, 23, of Queens Road Brandon, convicted of violent disorder.

Edwin "Lee" Ford, 24, of no fixed abode, convicted of violent disorder, failed to appear at court and a warrant was issued for his arrest.

Portuguese fans attacked by mob
25 Jun 04 |  Norfolk

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific