Page last updated at 13:25 GMT, Wednesday, 22 July 2009 14:25 UK

Gerrard 'victim' tells of attack

Steven Gerrard arriving at Liverpool Crown Court
Mr Gerrard was celebrating Liverpool's 5-1 win over Newcastle

The man allegedly attacked by England midfielder Steven Gerrard in a Merseyside bar has told a jury he faced a "barrage" of punches.

Marcus McGee, 34, told Liverpool Crown Court he was attacked after he refused to give Mr Gerrard control of a CD player in the Lounge Inn, Southport.

Mr McGee, who was initially struck by Mr Gerrard's friend John Doran, said he thought the footballer hit him first.

Mr Gerrard, of Formby, Merseyside, denies affray.

During the attack in the early hours of 29 December last year Mr McGee lost a crown on a front tooth, the court heard.

'Give me that'

Mr Gerrard, who was in the club with friends to celebrate Liverpool's 5-1 win over Newcastle United, is shown on CCTV walking away before he returns several minutes later.

Mr McGee said: "I remember a barrage of punches coming in at my face but I didn't know who has done what.

Looking at my hand movements I was asking him how he would react if somebody came up to him and wanted to take something off him in a manner I found to be rude
Marcus McGee

"Having watched the CCTV it was obvious Steven Gerrard hits me a couple of times, maybe three times, but I couldn't honestly say on the night.

"I didn't know who did what."

Mr McGee said he was asked by the manager to be in charge of the music.

Being led through his evidence by prosecuting barrister David Turner QC, Mr McGee said Mr Gerrard had tried to grab a card from his hand which controlled the stereo.

He said: "It was something to the effect of 'Here you are, lad, give me that'."

He said he recognised Mr Gerrard, but did not give the card to him.

Lounge Inn, Southport
Mr Gerrard was with a group of friends at the Lounge Inn

"He made a move to try to grab the card to take it away and I remember it slipped on the floor at one stage.

"He then walked away, that was the end of it."

The Liverpool captain then returned to Mr McGee.

"In my statement I didn't recall the conversation but looking at my hand movements I was asking him how he would react if somebody came up to him and wanted to take something off him in a manner I found to be rude," he said.

"I gave my statement in the 100% firm belief it was Steven Gerrard who hit me first.

"I gave that statement in good faith but changed it after watching the CCTV."

Mr McGee said he did not throw any punches and did not act aggressively.

'Benefit financially'

Mr McGee told Mr Gerrard's barrister, John Kelsey-Fry, that because the footballer was famous he did not expect any trouble.

Mr McGee said he was left "reeling" after being elbowed by John Doran and did not initially try to defend himself.

He said he ended up on the floor being kicked - which Mr Gerrard is not accused of taking part in - and stood up to defend himself.

Steven Gerrard arriving in court
Mr Gerrard arrived at court on Monday morning

Under cross-examination, Mr McGee claimed he did not plan to benefit financially from the attack.

He admitted a solicitor initially acting for him advised him to start a civil claim against the midfielder but he later dispensed with the lawyer's services.

Mr Kelsey-Fry said: "On your behalf, did your solicitor speak to Mr Gerrard's, saying that, as far as you were concerned, this had all been a terrible misunderstanding - and you were wondering if there was any way this could be sorted out amicably?"

"Definitely not, I never said those words," Mr McGee answered.

Player's 'minder'

Barman Nathaniel Lockie, 20, told the court Mr Gerrard used his left hand to pull Mr McGee's jumper over his head before launching uppercuts with his right.

Mr Lockie, who was on duty on the night, claimed he thought Doran was the player's minder "by the way he presented himself".

Doran, 29, of Woodlands Road, Ian Gerrard Smith, 19, of Hilary Avenue, and Paul McGrattan, 31, of Linden Drive, all Huyton, admit affray.

Accrington Stanley footballers Robert Grant, 19, of Enstone Avenue, Litherland, and Ian Dunbavin, 28, of Guildford Road, Southport, have also admitted affray.

John McGrattan, 34, of Rimmer Avenue, Huyton, has admitted threatening behaviour after denying affray.

The trial continues.

Advertisement

The BBC's Andy Gill explains what the alleged victim, Marcus McGee, told the court. CCTV footage shows Steven Gerrard on the night in question



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
CCTV of Gerrard 'brawl' released
21 Jul 09 |  Merseyside
Gerrard 'struck with boxer speed'
21 Jul 09 |  Merseyside
Gerrard affray trial is adjourned
20 Jul 09 |  Merseyside

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific