Page last updated at 18:23 GMT, Tuesday, 31 March 2009 19:23 UK

Hospital's 500m rebuild delayed

Royal Liverpool hospital
The existing hospital will eventually be demolished

Legal proceedings have delayed plans for a new Royal Liverpool Hospital.

A full judicial review into the £500m scheme to rebuild the hospital will now take place in the next few months, a judge at a High Court hearing ruled.

Campaigners have argued that the consultation on the plans was unlawful because the public did not have proper information about the options.

The Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust said it was "disappointed" by the decision.

The High Court decision means that there will be a judicial review hearing in May or early June.

Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust chief executive Tony Bell said: "Our patients and staff have been involved in planning the hospital and they need and deserve buildings and services fit for the 21st Century."

The new hospital is expected to take four years to build once work starts.

The current Royal Liverpool opened in 1978 and the trust has previously said it would need major refurbishment in the next few years if kept open.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Hospital's 500m plans unveiled
14 Jul 08 |  Merseyside
Hospital's 400m rebuild approved
18 Mar 08 |  Merseyside
Consultations for 400m hospital
31 Oct 07 |  Merseyside
Women's hospital gets top rating
18 Oct 07 |  Merseyside
Top doctor to lead superbug fight
16 Oct 07 |  Merseyside
City hospital masterplan unveiled
24 Jul 07 |  Merseyside

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific