Page last updated at 19:00 GMT, Friday, 6 February 2009

Everton face wait on stadium plan

Everton ground proposal
The new stadium would seat 50,000 supporters

Everton Football Club could be waiting until next season before they find out if their new stadium can go ahead.

The 400m development would see the club move to Kirkby as part of a complex with a Tesco superstore.

A public inquiry into the proposals has ended after 36 days of evidence, but the final report will not be given to the Secretary of State until June.

Everton chief executive Robert Elstone said he was still confident the ground could be built for the 2011-12 season.

Everton, Tesco and Knowsley Borough Council say the project could create more than 2,300 jobs, including 350 which Tesco has earmarked for long-term unemployed people in the area.

Knowsley Council has said the development would also attract an extra 1.2m visitors to the borough every year, spending an additional 13.6m in the local economy. It views the development as vital to the regeneration of the town.

I am confident that the powers that be are aware of how important timing is to the overall project
Robert Elstone, Everton chief executive

For Everton, the new stadium is key to attracting a new buyer and secure its financial future, Mr Elstone has previously said.

During the inquiry, evidence submitted on behalf of the club by sports consultants Deloitte showed it could generate about 6m extra revenue a year.

Everton had expected a decision by the spring, but Mr Elstone said: "We are very happy with the way the inquiry went.

"We answered some tough questions in impressive fashion and, in the course of doing that, were able to put right some misconceptions that had emerged.

"Throughout this process we have been keen to stress there is an urgent need to move and also a unique opportunity not just for Everton but also for the people of Kirkby.

"On that basis, and with the news today it may well be June before the inspector can finalise the report, we have to be certain we can hit the ground running to achieve a 2011 start date for the completed stadium.

"We will be discussing in more detail the timetable with our partners with a view to seeing if there is any way the decision can be accelerated.

"But I am confident that the powers that be are aware of how important timing is to the overall project."

The plans are being opposed by Liverpool City Council and group of other authorities - Sefton Council, St Helens Council, West Lancashire Council and Lancashire County Council.

Residents of Kirkby - and fans of the club - are split on the proposals.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Everton stadium plans 'are wrong'
18 Nov 08 |  Merseyside
Councils called to oppose stadium
06 May 08 |  Merseyside
Residents shown new Everton plans
30 Apr 08 |  Merseyside
Kirkby MP backs Everton proposal
24 Apr 08 |  Merseyside
Consultation over Everton stadium
14 Nov 07 |  Merseyside
Everton in talks on stadium move
15 Jun 06 |  Merseyside

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific