BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Monday, 11 February 2008, 16:05 GMT
Walker killer's brothers jailed
Thomas Harrison (Pic: Merseyside Police)
Mr Harrison was returning from a family party
The brothers of a man who murdered Anthony Walker have been jailed for their part in another killing.

Kevin Keegan Corke, 32, stabbed Tommy Harrison, 29, to death on a street in Huyton, Merseyside, after falling out with him at an 18th birthday party.

His half-brother Carl Taylor, 21, "encouraged" the attack, Preston Crown Court heard.

Both are the brothers of Paul Taylor, who was convicted of the racist murder of Anthony Walker in July 2005.

On Monday, Corke was jailed for life with a minimum sentence of 14 years before parole after pleading guilty to murder.

Taylor was jailed for five years after pleading guilty to manslaughter. Both men live on the St John's Estate, Huyton.

Some members of his family, for reasons you may be aware, were very unpopular on that estate and were getting attacked
Patrick Cosgrove, defending

The court heard that Corke was "knocked out cold" by Mr Harrison after the pair - who were close friends - got into an argument at the party at a social club on the St John's Estate in Huyton.

"Kevin Corke was humiliated and sought revenge," John McDermott QC, prosecuting, told the court.

Later, Mr Harrison was walking home with friends when he was confronted by Taylor and Corke, who was armed with a knife.

"What are you going to do, stab me or something?" Harrison asked Corke, the court heard.

Corke then "went into attack mode" with Taylor assisting, Mr McDermott said.

Mr Harrison was stabbed five times, with one wound - through the heart - proving fatal.

Carl Anthony Taylor (l) and Kevin Keegan Corke
The pair gave themselves up 11 days after the attack

The court heard that Mr Harrison said: "I can't believe you have just stabbed me."

He was rushed to Whiston Hospital by ambulance but was dead on arrival.

Both Corke and Taylor fled in a car stolen by Michael Farrell, 21, also from Huyton, which was later found burnt out.

Corke and Taylor gave themselves up 11 days later.

Farrell was jailed for 18 months by Judge Caroline Swift for vehicle theft and perverting the course of justice.

Patrick Cosgrove QC, defending Corke, said he had not gone to arm himself but had carried a knife for self-protection.

"Sadly, the culture of this area is one of carrying knives," Mr Cosgrove said.

"Some members of his family, for reasons you may be aware, were very unpopular on that estate and were getting attacked.

"Each member is closely identified to each by others, and all do seem to visit the sins of one on them all. It is that sort of place."

Pair charged with stabbing murder
17 Aug 07 |  Merseyside
Murder inquiry extended to Europe
13 Aug 07 |  Merseyside
Pair 'wanted' over man's murder
08 Aug 07 |  Merseyside

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific