[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Tuesday, 10 July 2007, 11:26 GMT 12:26 UK
Scheme opponents may lose homes
Edge Lane plans
Almost 400 homes will have to be demolished in the project
The fight may be over for residents campaigning to keep their homes in the face of a multi-million pound regeneration project in Liverpool.

A new compulsory purchase order (CPO) has been issued by English Partnerships to get the site of the 350m Edge Lane project cleared.

The aim is to transform the corridor from the M62 into the city centre.

Many of the properties have already been bought by the city Council, but nearly 70 residents are yet to agree.

One resident, Elizabeth Pascoe, had previously been awarded a High Court injunction to prevent work from continuing.

However, this new CPO means the slate is now wiped clean, although the new application is once again subject to objections and a possible public inquiry.

The project includes about 280 new homes, including sheltered housing and apartments, as well as new shops and a health centre.

The regeneration of the Edge Lane corridor is of critical importance for Liverpool and the region."
Eliot Lewis-Ward,
English Partnerships

Ian Hassall, Chief Executive of Liverpool Land Development Company, which is leading the Edge Lane Project, said most residents are behind the scheme.

"We know the overwhelming majority of the local community supports the plans for new homes, new business space, a much safer road and a much better environment.

"They are desperate to see progress and an end to the dereliction in this area. Indeed, residents have presented a petition to call for progress to be made.

"We owe it to the local community and the city of Liverpool to help bring about the transformation of this area."

Eliot Lewis-Ward, English Partnerships Area Director for Merseyside and Cheshire, said: "The comprehensive regeneration of the Edge Lane corridor is of critical importance for Liverpool and the region."




VIDEO AND AUDIO NEWS
The fight for Edge Lane



SEE ALSO
Woman wins homes demolition fight
27 Sep 06 |  Merseyside
High Court bid to stop demolition
24 Jul 06 |  Merseyside
Homes demolition plan challenged
24 Mar 06 |  Merseyside
Ringo's sadness over demolition
08 Oct 05 |  Merseyside
'No bulldozer policy' for homes
26 May 05 |  UK Politics

RELATED BBC LINKS

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific