[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 9 September 2005, 10:20 GMT 11:20 UK
Ringo birthplace to be bulldozed
Ringo Starr's birthplace in Madryn Street, Dingle, Liverpool
Ringo Starr's birthplace had "no historical significance"
Former Beatle Ringo Starr's birthplace is to be demolished because it has "no historical significance", Liverpool City Council has said.

The terrace in Madryn Street, Princes Park, is one of 460 properties to be demolished for a regeneration project.

The house had been granted a reprieve two months ago while a public consultation was carried out.

But the council said Madryn Street had no significance because Ringo had spent only three months of his life there.

The council's housing select committee's decision is expected to be ratified by the council executive on 16 September.

Flo Clucas, executive member for housing, said: "Ringo Starr lived in the Madryn Street house for about three months before he moved to Admiral Grove, where he lived for about 20 years.

"John Lennon and Paul McCartney's childhood homes were preserved because they spent a significant part of their lives in them.

"The house on Madryn Street has no historical significance."

Ringo Starr
Why are they knocking them down? If it is economically viable, they should do them up
Ringo Starr

Many residents in the area, known as the Welsh Streets because each street is named after a place in Wales, are in favour of the Victorian homes being demolished.

But others have campaigned for them to be left standing.

Ringo Starr, who also narrated the Thomas The Tank Engine animations, called for the homes to be saved earlier this year.

He said: "Why are they knocking them down? If it is economically viable, they should do them up.

"Are they going to knock out the centre of Liverpool again?

"That's what they did before. They moved everybody to high-rise apartments outside the city and forgot to rebuild.

'Expensive housing'

"I believe it's now very nice. They even have bathrooms, which we never had."

Jeremy Hawthorn, who had campaigned to save the homes, said he believed the council had made its mind up months ago.

He said: "They want to clear working-class families out of this area to make way for expensive housing for richer people.

"I'm not surprised at this decision, but I am disappointed."

Beatles tourists can still visit the houses where John Lennon and Paul McCartney grew up.

The National Trust owns Lennon and McCartney's childhood homes in Menlove Avenue and Forthlin Road respectively while 12, Arnold Grove, where George Harrison grew up, is also still standing.


SEE ALSO:
Ringo's home escapes demolition
12 Jul 05 |  Merseyside
Beatle's birthplace gets reprieve
08 Jul 05 |  Merseyside
'No bulldozer policy' for homes
26 May 05 |  UK Politics
Ringo Starr to become superhero
27 Jan 05 |  Entertainment
Ringo Starr's son drums for Oasis
11 May 04 |  Entertainment


RELATED BBC LINKS:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific