A puppy has fully recovered just days after swallowing a kitchen knife the length of his body.
Jake had swallowed the knife handle-first
Jake, a 12-week-old Staffordshire Bull Terrier cross from Merseyside, was taken to the vet after he started vomiting and trying to keep his body in a straight line.
X-rays indicated a seven-inch knife was running through his body, with the plastic handle at the base of his pelvis and the metal point at the top of his throat.
Vets at the People's Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA) operated immediately and within a few days Jake had bounced back to health.
Jake had swallowed the Shappu 2000 knife whole, handle-first, at his home in Huyton.
Senior PDSA vet Christina Symonds said: "The X-ray clearly showed a kitchen knife inside him so he operated immediately and removed it.
"The knife went from his oesophagus, passed behind the larynx and right through his stomach down into the bowel.
Swallowing the knife blade-first would have been much worse
"Dogs are always swallowing strange things, from kebab sticks to corn-on-the-cobs to tape cassettes.
"But this was particularly unusual because it was such a large knife in a small puppy. It really did run the length of his body."
Ms Symonds said she could not be sure how Jake had swallowed the knife.
"We hope it has not caused any long-term damage and he was up and about within 24 hours," she said.
"If he had swallowed the knife blade-first, it would have caused more damage, but then again he would have stopped before eating the whole thing!"
Owner John Mallett, 22, said he became worried about Jake when he started being sick and was unable to stand normally.
"He would put his feet on you and put his head back, trying to keep his body in a straight line," said Mr Mallett.
"When the vet told me it was a knife I was in total shock. I couldn't understand how he could fit it in.
"He's come through the operation really well and he's totally back to his old self.
"The PDSA did a really good job and I'm just pleased and relieved that he's okay."