[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated:  Wednesday, 9 April, 2003, 07:30 GMT 08:30 UK
Puppy survives knife trick
Jake the Staffordshire Bull Terrier puppy with owner John Mallett and the knife
Jake had swallowed the knife handle-first
A puppy has fully recovered just days after swallowing a kitchen knife the length of his body.

Jake, a 12-week-old Staffordshire Bull Terrier cross from Merseyside, was taken to the vet after he started vomiting and trying to keep his body in a straight line.

X-rays indicated a seven-inch knife was running through his body, with the plastic handle at the base of his pelvis and the metal point at the top of his throat.

Vets at the People's Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA) operated immediately and within a few days Jake had bounced back to health.

Jake had swallowed the Shappu 2000 knife whole, handle-first, at his home in Huyton.

Senior PDSA vet Christina Symonds said: "The X-ray clearly showed a kitchen knife inside him so he operated immediately and removed it.

An x-ray showing the knife in Jake's stomach
Swallowing the knife blade-first would have been much worse
"The knife went from his oesophagus, passed behind the larynx and right through his stomach down into the bowel.

"Dogs are always swallowing strange things, from kebab sticks to corn-on-the-cobs to tape cassettes.

"But this was particularly unusual because it was such a large knife in a small puppy. It really did run the length of his body."

Ms Symonds said she could not be sure how Jake had swallowed the knife.

"We hope it has not caused any long-term damage and he was up and about within 24 hours," she said.

"If he had swallowed the knife blade-first, it would have caused more damage, but then again he would have stopped before eating the whole thing!"

'Total shock'

Owner John Mallett, 22, said he became worried about Jake when he started being sick and was unable to stand normally.

"He would put his feet on you and put his head back, trying to keep his body in a straight line," said Mr Mallett.

"When the vet told me it was a knife I was in total shock. I couldn't understand how he could fit it in.

"He's come through the operation really well and he's totally back to his old self.

"The PDSA did a really good job and I'm just pleased and relieved that he's okay."




SEE ALSO:
Injured police dog gets his man
03 Oct 02  |  England
Dog survives cliff plunge
30 Aug 02  |  England
Soldiers thank rescue dog
26 Apr 02  |  England
Dog survives after pebble feast
31 Jan 02  |  England


INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific