Authorities said the parade last year was called off due to safety concerns
Preparations are being made for a homecoming parade for Manchester United if the club wins the Champions League, BBC Manchester has learnt.
The club, local authorities and police do not want a repeat of 2008 when the parade was called off because of "risks to public safety".
The Manchester United Supporters' Trust said early preparation would avoid last year's disappointment.
It added that it showed fans' wishes were being heard by the authorities.
Sean Bones, vice-chairman from the Manchester United Supporters' Trust, said every fan, even if they could not afford to attend the game, should be able to celebrate.
"It's a fantastic achievement for any club to with the Champions League and really it's only right and fitting the players, manager and training staff are able to be honoured in this way," said Mr Bones.
Last year, the parade was called off after riots took place on Manchester streets when Glasgow Rangers fans visited the city to watch their team lose 2-0 to Zenit St Petersburg in the Uefa Cup.
Manchester City Council said the riots were a key factor in calling off last year's homecoming event.
United are playing Arsenal on Wednesday in the first leg of the Champions League semi-final at Old Trafford.
If United win over the two legs of the semi-final they will defend their Champions League crown against either Barcelona or Chelsea in Rome on 27 May.