A historic Grade 1 listed hall in Greater Manchester has been temporarily closed after potentially harmful asbestos was found.
The hall dates back to the 12th century
It was discovered just before Christmas in a boiler room at 12th Century Ordsall Hall, Salford.
Salford City Council, which owns the building, has called in contractors to remove the substance, which can cause lung disease.
The council hopes to re-open the hall by the end of the month.
Asbestos, which is heat-resistant and has good insulating properties, was a popular building material in the 19th Century.
A council spokeswoman said: "Ordsall Hall has been closed as a precautionary measure to enable checks to be made on the asbestos that was found during maintenance work.
"We hope to re-open for visitors before the end of the month."
Salford Council and Friends of Salford Museums recently launched a bid to transform the Grade I listed hall into a state-of-the-art visitor attraction.
Legend has it that Guy Fawkes hatched the Gunpowder Plot at the hall - which was recently named "Small Visitor Attraction of the Year" in the North West Tourism Awards.