[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 29 November 2006, 18:17 GMT
No action over Rooney 'incident'
Wayne Rooney
Rooney was interviewed but not arrested
No action will be taken against England football star Wayne Rooney over claims a photographer was assaulted outside a nightclub in Manchester.

The 21-year-old Manchester United star was interviewed, but not arrested, by police investigating claims of the assault outside the Panacea club.

But the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said there was insufficient evidence to pursue a prosecution.

A spokesman said the decision was made by the Crown Prosecutor on Wednesday.

"The complainant has been informed about the decision," he told the BBC.

No arrest

Police received a report that a man had been assaulted on John Dalton Street in the city centre at 0505 GMT on 15 October.

An appointment was made for Rooney to attend a police station on 24 November.

Police interviewed the striker but he was never arrested.

Manchester United had beaten Wigan the day before the alleged incident. Rooney played in the match, but did not score.


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific